of likely interest to NYers only

Wed Mar 6 16:26:14 UTC 2002

Careful with the fronting in the name of the city. Could be two
phonemes. Some folk got Chicago with the vowel of "caught"; others
with the vowel of "cot." Course, in the Northern Cities Shift,
"caught" sounds like "cot" and "cot" sounds like "cat," but these are
two different facts and ought to be kept straight.

Our work on the NCS makes us begin to suspect that nasality may
indeed be a regional feature, and that is often what people make fun
of in "Midwestern" speech.

dInIs