Padiddle: a guess

Clark Whelton cwhelton at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Mar 7 21:53:15 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Laurence Horn"

Los Angeles Times
May 13, 1992, Wednesday, Home Edition
  SECTION: View; Part E; Page 5; Column 2; View Desk
  HEADLINE: SUPERSTITIONS: A KISS FOR LUCK
  BYLINE: By ROY RIVENBURG
  BODY:
  Some enduring childhood superstitions, compiled from interviews with kids
and ex-kids and from "One Potato, Two Potato," by Mary and Herbert Knapp:

  * If you see a car with a burned-out headlight, say "Padiddle" and kiss
someone for good luck. ...
===========

An interesting clue.  If  the "padiddle" game did begin as a superstition,
it probably precedes automobiles.  This is just a guess, but horse-drawn
carriages and buggies often carried candle lamps on both sides.  And there
were numerous superstitions concerning candles.  See...

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6707/homelore.html

Candles should also be blown out before they burned out, for if they were
allowed to gutter out in the candlestick it was said that a sailor would die
at sea.

To snuff a candle out accidentally was an omen of a wedding.

from  http://www.corsinet.com/trivia/scary.html

If a candle lighted as part of a ceremony
blows out, it is a sign that evil spirits are
nearby.

>From http://www.angelfire.com/fl3/americanwitch/superstition.html

A candle left to burn itself out will bring misfortune.

If a candle suddenly goes out by itself, it is an omen of a death in the
family.

It seems possible that a passing coach or carriage with an extinguished
flame might have required an antidote (the kiss).  On the other hand the
tradition that an accidentally snuffed candle means an impending wedding
might have prompted a kiss for a entirely different reason.

Clark Whelton