"The Future of American Slang in the OED"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 8 08:14:24 UTC 2002

   Greetings from New York City.  Juat received in the mail:

The Western Historical Manuscript Collection--Columbia
cordially invites you to attend the lecture
"THE FUTURE OF AMERICAN SLANG IN THE OED"
by JESSE SHEIDLOWER
Thursday, March 14, 2002, 3:45 p.m.
Ellis Auditorium, Ellis Library
University of Missouri-Columbia
(573) 882-6028

MISC. (BUCCANEER, BARBECUE):
   I'm gathering together my notes and citations for Jamaica and Haiti in the 1600s.  I'm looking for "barbecue."
   BUCCANEERS OF AMERICA (1684)--also BUCANIERS OF AMERICA--went through many editions and languages.  Merriam-Webster has "circa 1690" for "buccaneer."  OED's first "buccaneer" cite of 1661 is the same work that has its earliest "barbecue."  However, OED apparently never heard of BUCCANEERS OF AMERICA (1684), either.  How are early books like this not read?