perdiddle/padiddle (fwd)

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Fri Mar 8 12:23:29 UTC 2002

Ok, I've polled my family, and other than the not-so-new discovery that my
brothers are annoying, I've learnt that my parents say 'perdiddle' (Dad
taught the game to Mom when they were courting in the 50s), but my youngest
brother says padiddle.  However, sisters-in-law and other hometown friends
have never heard of this (but offered punchbug instead).

So, this throws a little kink in the assumption that 'perdiddle' was a
later  pronunciation in western NY, and greater evidence for the hypothesis
that my little brother is from another planet.

Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
Acting Director, MA in Applied Linguistics
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH
UK

phone +44-(0)1273-678844