strip "pididdle," anyone?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 8 16:13:14 UTC 2002

At 10:24 AM -0500 3/8/02, Baker, John wrote:
>         From OED:
>
>         >>1879 in G. Legman Limerick (1979) 131 There was a young
>man from Toulouse Who thought he would diddle a goose.<<
>
>He hunted and bunted To get the thing cunted, But decided it wasn't no use.
>
>         >> 1960 WENTWORTH & FLEXNER Dict. Amer. Slang 146/2 There
>was a man from Racine Who invented a diddling machine; Both concave
>and convex, It could fit either sex. <<
>
>But was it a bastard to clean!
>
>or
>
>And could play with itself in between.

John Baker

There was a young man from Bel Air
Who was diddling his girl on the stair.
    But the banister broke
    So he doubled his stroke,
And finished her off in midair.

A farmer I know named O'Doole
Has a long and incredible tool.
   He can use it plow,
   Or to diddle a cow,
Or just as a cue-stick at pool.

A widow who fancied a man some
Was diddled three times in a hansom.
     When she clamored for more
     Her young man became sore
And exclaimed "My name's Simpson not Samson."

ObDialect:

A cautious young husband named Rafe
Used to diddle his wife with a safe.
    Thus he thwarted God's wishes
    And fed his pet fishes,
Which he kept in a bedside carafe.
                                                   1941
[guess SOME people tense that last vowel]

There was a young girl of Tonga
Who diddled herself with a conger.
    When asked how it feels
    To be pleasured by eels,
She said, "Like a man, only longer."

This all does make one wonder about "Hey diddle, diddle"...

larry