"Do Good Anyway" maxim in NY Times

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 9 03:52:29 UTC 2002

   Does Fred Shapiro have this?
   From page one of the NEW YORK TIMES, 8 March 2002, col. 4:

_Good Things for Maxim Writer Who Waited_
(...)
   A fellow Rotarian said he wanted to open the meeting by reading inspirational sayings that he said came from Mother Teresa.  "If you are successful you will win false friends and true enemies," the speaker said.  "Succeed anyway.  The good you do will be forgotten tomorrow.  Do good anyway."
(...)
   "I actually wrote that," Mr. (Kent M.--ed.) Keith told him.
(...)(Col. 6--ed.)
   Mr. Keith has finally stepped forward to capitalize on his platitudes' astonishing appeal.  In January, Penguin Putnam agreed to pay an advance of about $300,000 for the rights to a 144-page book, "The Paradoxical Commandments," by Mr. Keith, explicating his original 10 theses.  It will be published in May with a heavy national marketing and publicity campaign designed to turn it into the next "Who Moved My Cheese?"

($300,000 for that?...This is what makes the front page of the New York Times?...Completely off topic:  DOES ANYBODY IN THIS LAWYER-FILLED TOWN SELL THE AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION JOURNAL????--ed.)