highball

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Mar 9 20:55:28 UTC 2002

I concur.  I recall that I had other examples of this, where a form
that was earlier historically (like "highball poker" may or may not
have been) would constitute a retronym for a later generation of
language users who have lost touch with the original configuration of
markedness.
In this case, given David Barnhart's evidence and our intuitions, we
might have something like the following sequence:

Stage 1     highball poker
Stage 2     poker (= high hand wins)
Stage 3     poker (= high hand wins) vs. lowball poker (= low hand
wins), hi-lo, etc.
Stage 4     highball poker (as retronym to distinguish it from...)
lowball (poker)

We have to distinguish ontogenetic from phylogenetic retronymy.
Unfortunately, I seem to have misplaced the relevant examples.  There
are certainly related cases in which one generation's
retronym-inducers can be another generation's retronyms.  Consider
for example desktop computers, fountain pens (or, later, ball-point
pens--for me, at least, felt-tip pens are now the default), cash
money, prop(eller) plane, wind-up watch,...

larry