America in So Many Words

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 10 18:57:41 UTC 2002

I am ashamed to admit that I do not own a copy of Barnhart and Metcalf's
"America in So Many Words."  I am trying to get hold of their list of
"words of the year" for the pre-1900 words (I already have the
20th-century ones from the Web).  Can anyone point me to an online source
listing the pre-1900 words, or would anyone be able to post the list of
pre-1900 words to ADS-L?

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,