Mine Run

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 11 16:16:12 UTC 2002

In a message dated 3/11/02 10:08:03 AM Eastern Standard Time,
millerk at nytimes.com writes:

> Mr. Safire would like to use your comments on mine run for March 24th's
>  column. How shall we identify you?
>
>  Thank you very much for your contribution and your time.
>
>  Sincerely,
>
>  Kathleen (Katy) Miller
>  Research Assistant to William Safire
>  The New York Times

as either "James A. Landau of Linwood, New Jersey" or "James A. Landau. a
computer engineer with the Federal Aviation Administration".

I don't have the e-mails handy, but my recollection is that other members of
the ADS-L list supplied more, and more exact, information than I did on "mine
run".

I should warn you that my reference to the "Battle of Mine Run" was something
of a leg-pull.  There was a campaign, called the "Mine Run campaign", between
the Army of Northern Virginia under Robert E. Lee and the Army of the Potomac
under George. G. Meade.  This campaign lasted a week or so and ended on the
date I gave.  However, it ended in something less than a major battle.  Lee
ordered his army to make a Pickett's-Charge-style attack on the Union lines
in the early morning, only to discover that the Union army had slipped away
during the night and was safely on the other side of the Rapidan River.

      Sincerely,

      James A. Landau
      Systems Engineer
      Federal Aviation Administration
      William J. Hughes Technical Center (ACT-350/BCI)
      Atlantic City Airport NJ 08405