Knock on Wood

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 15 17:00:27 UTC 2002

At 11:36 AM -0500 3/15/02, Bob Haas wrote:
>The pop song "Knock on Wood" by Eddie Floyd (backed by the MGs of Booker T
>and the MGs) made it to number 28 in 1966.  Funny, I always imagined that it
>would have climbed higher.  I remember it from my near infancy.

It's like thunder, lightning
The way you love me it's frightening
I better knock [KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK] on wood.

Indeed.  Then there was the Beatles' cover, "Touch Wood", but it
didn't scan, so they changed it to "Norwegian Wood" and made some
other minor alterations, and the rest is history.

larry