Knock on Norwegian Wood

Clark Whelton cwhelton at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Mar 15 18:43:39 UTC 2002

> >  > Indeed.  Then there was the Beatles' cover, "Touch >Wood", but it
didn't scan, so they changed it to >"Norwegian Wood" and made some other
minor
> >>alterations, and the rest is history.
> >
> >>  larry

> >Uh oh... I've always heard that "Norwegian Wood" was their sly way of
saying "Knowing she would," a sexual >reference.... "Isn't it good,
Norwegian Wood."
>Clark

> Cute, but it doesn't really work in the context of these lyrics, in
> which she's coming on to him, and he seems to be uninterested and
> ends up by possibly burning her valuable Norwegian wood after she
> leaves for work in the morning.  I'm fully prepared to believe in
> this sort of subtext--suggestive, double entendre lyrics--in almost
> any musical genre, but here it doesn't really seem to make sense,
> unless I've misread it.
>
> larry
> =================
> Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
> Lennon/McCartney
> Rubber Soul, recorded 1965
>
> I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me.
> She showed me her room, isn't it good, Norwegian wood?
> She asked me to stay and she told me to sit anywhere.
> So I looked around and I noticed there wasn't a chair.
> I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine.
> We talked until two, and then she said, "It's time for bed".

> She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh.
> I told her I didn't and crawled off to sleep in the bath.
> And when I awoke, I was alone, this bird had flown.
> So I lit a fire, isn't it good, Norwegian wood.

Thanks for posting the lyrics.  In context, if "Norwegian wood" in the first
stanza simply means Norwegian wood, it doesn't make as much sense as
"knowing she would."  In the last stanza the usage seems to be a double
entendre implying the singer's hopes for sex went up in flames.

Clark