Panga, Junk, Millio, Pisang, Pintado, Cassado, Coconut (1591-1603)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 18 07:51:21 UTC 2002

THE VOYAGES OF SIR JAMES LANCASTER
TO BRAZIL AND THE EAST INDIES (1591-1603)
introduction by Sir William Foster
London: Hakluyt Society
1940

   OED missed yet another book.  This time the explorer is English.
   Several voyages were made; I'll use the dates at the top of the pages.

Pg. 5 (Sept. 1591):  And we tooke three or foure barkes of Moores*(which barkes in their language they called pangaias**), laden with millio***, hennes, and ducks, with one Portugall boy, going for the provision of Mozambique.
**Pangaia was a Portuguese name for a sailing barge, much used on the coast of East Africa.  Descriptions given on pp. 6, 23.
***Por. _milho da India_, maize.
(OED has "a1600" for "millio."  Curiously, "pangaia" is mentioned in that line, also.  I sailed a "panga" in the Galapagos, then noticed that OED dated it only to 1927.  See the detailed note on page 53 of THE VOYAGE OF FRANCOIS PYRARD, also by Hakluyt.  This book is mentioned.  The word goes back at least to 1505--ed.)

Pg. 8 (Nov. 1591-Feb. 1592):  By this negro we were advertised of a small barke of some thirtie tunnes (which the Moores call a junco*)...
*The term junk (Malay _jong_) is now restricted to Chinese ships, but in the seventeenth century it was used of any Asiatic seagoing vessel.
(OED has 1613 for "junk"--ed.)

Pg. 14 (Oct. 1592):  They call in their language the coco _calambe_, the plantane _pison_, a hen _jam_, a fish _iccan_, a hog _babee_.*
*These words are not Nicobarese but (as Dr Blagden confirms) Malay (_kelamboi_, _pisang_, _ayam_, _ikan_, _babi_).
(OED has 1662 for "pisang"--ed.)

Pg. 15 (Dec, 1592):  ...wrought quilts, fine Calicut cloth, pintados* and other fine workes...
*Printed cotton cloths.
(OED has 1602 for "pintado"--ed.)

Pg. 93 (June 1602):  In this banquet the king...dranke oft to the generall in their wine, which they call racke (i.e. arrack).  This wine is made of rice, and is as strong as any of our aquavitae; a little will serve to bring one asleepe.
(OED has 1602 for "arrack" and 1675 for "raki"--ed.)

Pg. 124 ("1601" at top of page): ...iland of conies, in as great aboundance as the other of seales and penguines.*
*This island lies thirty-five miles to the northward of Table Bay.  The English christened it Cony Island, on account of the abundance of those animals; while the Dutch gave it its present name of Dassen (which has the same meaning).
(The mystery of NY's "Coney Island" continues.  Was it named "coney" for a king?  "Coney" for rabbits?  Are seals and penguins considered rabbits?  There is another "Coney Island" cite in another Hakluyt Society book that I'll get to soon--ed.)

Pg. 128 (1602):  The people of the country brought us aboord coakernuts, cassado* rootes, pounceatrons**, and lemmons, and some hens.
*A form of "cassava."
**"Pome-citrons," the fruit of the citrus tree.
(OED has 1642 for "cassado."  OED has 1602 for "coconut"--ed.)

Pg. 136 (1602):  That of goulde they call masse*; sixe of them for a royalle of eight.  Those of lead they call cashe; where of 2100 maketh a masse.
(The revised OED has only two cites for "mass" with the first in 1477, but this could have been used--ed.)