h in what and where

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Mon Mar 18 23:58:24 UTC 2002

I retain hw- at least in stressed environments.  I suspect the h- weakens
to the vanishing point the lower the stress.

Age 60, living in Oregon, grew up in CA and OR but have lived just about
everywhere else in the meantime.  I suspect I got the hw- from one or both
of my parents (from Iowa and Texas/Oklahoma, respectively) rather than from
my peers.  I distinctly remember a grade school playmate in CA telling me
about the "How and Wy Books" and being vaguely annoyed at her pronunciation
(alas, a curmudgeon even at an early age).

Peter Mc.

--On Monday, March 18, 2002 11:37 AM -0800 James Smith