Pasta (1686)

A. Maberry maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue Mar 19 18:08:56 UTC 2002

The Redhouse Turkish English Lexicon (1890) gives the following
definition:
"p[macron]astah. Various kinds of macaroni paste."

Doesn't mention any bread-like substance.

No luck on any Arabic source for the herb "halis" yet. Is it la halis or
al-halis?

allen
maberry at u.washington

A previous post on Addison's ACCOUNT OF WEST BARBARY

Pg. 440:  The Moors have an herb called la halis, which, mingled with honey,
they make up into balls as big as pistol bullets, and of these they swallow
five or six at a time, which they find to procure appetite, further digestion,
and to make frolick, amorous, and witty.

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> THE TRAVELS OF SIR JOHN CHARDIN
> INTO PERSIA AND THE EAST INDIES
> (By John Chardin--ed.)
> London: Moses Pitt
> 1686
>
>    OED and Merriam-Webster have 1874 for "pasta."  This definitely says
     "pasta"--whether we would now name it that is another thing.

> Pg. 81:  Their usual Grain is _Gom_: which is a sort of Grain as small as
           Coriander Seed, and very much resembles Millet. (...)
>          This Past is very white; and some there is, which they make as
           white as snow.  They serve it upon little Woodden Peels made on
           purpose.  And this sort of Bread the _Turks_ call _Pasta_, the
           _Mingrelians_, _Gom_, being easily brok'n between the Fingers:
           but it is of a very cold and laxative Quality; nor is it worth
           any thing, after it is once cold, or when it is heated a second
           time.