Query: Eatery on wheels--"The Faculty" (1894)

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Mar 21 03:59:59 UTC 2002

    There's a bit of 19th century college humor that escapes me; _The
Yale Record_ (humor magazine), March 30, 1895, (vol. 23, no. 12, p.
119) reports about the Kennel Club, an eatery where hot sausages were
served (hot dogs, Kennel Club--get it?). The student members
facetiously referred to the building as "the Faculty, probably from
the fact that the building has wheels."

     Here's where I'm unclear. Could the reference be to the Faculty
moving about on bicycles? And if not, why would a building be
facetiously referred to as "the Faculty"?

    Here's the entire paragraph (part of a somewhat longer item). It
was pointed out to me some years ago by Barry Popik as part of his
research into "hot dog":

        "...We refer to the Kennel Club which was started last fall
by a few ardent dog fanciers  [i.e., ardent sausage lovers], and
which has since become a flourishing and popular institution.  The
club's quarters, situated near the campus, are very attractive and
commodious, and are sometimes referred to by the members in a
facetious spirit as the Faculty, probably from the fact that the
building has wheels."

---Gerald Cohen