Fwd: ALAYE

Herbert Stahlke hstahlke at ATT.NET
Thu Mar 21 17:51:44 UTC 2002

George has the meaning of the word essentially right.
As he probably discovered, it's derived from  aye (M
H) "world" (the low, mid, and high tones in Yoruba will
be marked here as L, M, H in parens after the word.
Apply one tone per vowel unless two tones are
hyphenated, in which case they both go on one vowel.)
The nominalization o+ni+aye (M H M H) "one-
who+have+world" becomes  alaye (M H H) by normal
phonological processes in Yoruba and is a very frequent
structure that can have a lot of meanings.  o+ni+ata (m
H M M) "one-who+have+pepper" becomes  alata (M H M)
means "pepper seller".  alaye can be used as part of a
greeting to a chief and is sometimes also used in
reference to a chief.  The word translated as "king",
Oba (M M)  really refers to the often hereditary ruler
of a town.  Since the Yorubas are traditionally an urban-
dwelling culture, the role of  Oba  is important,
but "king" suggest things in English that  Oba  isn't.

There is another Yoruba word  aye (L L)  "chance,
opportunity", and the nominalization  alaya (M H-L L)
would mean something like "one who has an opportunity".
The words are completely different in Yoruba because the
tones are different.  In English they would be
homophones.

Of course, once the word gets into the Yoruba-influenced
sector of African-American culture it takes on a life of
its own that may have little to do with its Nigerian
meaning.  Yoruba name are now fairly common, although
they are pronounced as if they were English, and Yoruba
words for cultural artifacts and practices have also
come to be used.  A few years ago, I attended a drum
festival near Muncie led by a man in Yoruba costume and
with a Yoruba name.  He also used a few Yoruba words.
Afterwards I greeted him in Yoruba and complimented him
on the festival.  His Yoruba was tied exclusively to the
names of a few objects and practices in the festival and
was not conversational.  This is, of course, common
practice in a lot of subcultures in this country, where
a few words of the original first language survive but
few people still speak the language.

Herb Stahlke
Ball State University