to no end/no end (Fwd) Re: Totally OT language question

Dan Goodman dsgood at VISI.COM
Thu Mar 21 23:42:59 UTC 2002

Is there a geographical pattern to this difference in usage?

From:                   "Carol Kennedy" <adamskennedy at visi.com>
To:                     <dsgood at visi.com>
Subject:                Re: Totally OT language question
Date sent:              Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:18:02 -0600

Here it is, but I'm compiling results right now, so it's a little
late
for others to contribute.

Carol

On a copy editors' list, we have been having a discussion that led me
to do a survey of the listmembers. I'd also like some opinions of
people who aren't copy editors. Anyone who wants to help, please
email
your answers to me privately so that we don't bother other natterers.
Thanks!

1. Which of these ways would you express "I enjoyed it lots/a great
deal/hugely/infinitely"? (a)I enjoyed it no end. (b)I enjoyed it to
no
end.

Which of these ways would you express "The music irritated him
extremely/excessively/greatly"?
(c)The music irritated him to no end.
(d)The music irritated him no end.

2. In what decade were you born? (or give exact year if you want to)

3. In what region of what country do you think you learned this
usage?

Thanks so much!

Carol Kennedy