"at" at end of sentence

Fri Mar 22 13:35:41 UTC 2002

Hardly Midwestern US. I have yet to visit an English-speaking part of
the world where many prepositions were not left at the ends of
sentences. I suspect there are some lower-level syntactic conditions
which will obtain in some areas and not in others (causing Canadians,
for example, to notice others' use but not their own, a common enough
sociolinguistic phenomenon [or 'phenomena', a rapidly-growing
singular]), but I don't think we know about the distribution of these
conditions, and I suspect that many are more social than geographic.

Good thesis. Get on it.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston