Slang Word-Coiners

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 22 13:59:18 UTC 2002

At 1:10 AM -0600 3/22/02, Tom Kysilko wrote:
>Corrigenda:
>--"Don't have a cow" goes back at least to the early '60s (my junior high
>school days)
>--"Ay Caramba" has been a staple of comic Latin characters since (at least)
>The Cisco Kid (Poncho) and I Love Lucy (Ricky Ricardo)
>--"Cowabunga!" was used frequently by Chief Thunderthud on the Howdy Doody
>Show

Not to be picky but...   (i.e. I get enough flak from things I
actually do get wrong in my postings)

Both the original posting by Fred and my response (from which the
above were taken) made it clear that we were including "phrases
popularized by" as well as "...created by..." TV shows.  I imagine
that vanishingly few original coinages can be pegged to such sources,
as we saw dramatically with the unmasking of SNL's supposed creation
of "...NOT!"

larry