Californicate

Fri Mar 22 16:08:49 UTC 2002

The first use of "californicate" I remember was during
the Colorado citizens campaign against the 1976 Winter
Olympics.  Denver had been awarded the 1976 Winter
Olympics, but a grassroots coalition helped pull the
plug.  The winter games were switched to Innsbruck
after CO passed a law making it illegal to pay for
events like the Olympics with state taxes. I believe
the law was passed in 1972, so "californicate" should
be in Denver newspapers from the early 70's.

=====