More on Earliest Usage of "Doh"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 24 16:35:16 UTC 2002

Let me add to my previous posting that this 1931 usage is likely closer to
the real origin of "doh" than one might think.  A web search turns up
references to Matt Groening and Dan Castellaneta explicitly crediting
Laurel and Hardy sidekick James Finlayson as the source of "doh."  The
question of first usage may thus consist in ascertaining whether Finlayson
used "doh" in any of Laurel and Hardy's pre-1931 shorts.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,