Bavaroise, "Blood and Milk"(1789-1790)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 25 07:03:14 UTC 2002

LETTERS OF A RUSSIAN TRAVELER
(1789-1790):
AN ACCOUNT OF A YOUNG RUSSIAN GENTLEMAN'S TOUR THROUGH GERMANY, SWITZERLAND, FRANCE, AND ENGLAND
by N. M. Karamzin
translated and abridged by Florence Jonas
Columbia University Press, NY
1957

   The footnotes are by Karamzin, unless "trans." is added.

Pg. 30:  There I took my place in the kibitka and turned toward Moscow...
(See prior posts for "kibitka"--ed.)

Pg. 99:  Everywhere there are signs of diligence, _industry_(49), plenty.
49. This word has now become common.  The author was the first to use it.  (Karamzin had in mind the Russian equivalent of the word industry, which he coined and introduced into the Russian language.  Trans.)

Pg. 128:  In Zurich there is a so-called "Girls' School" (Tochter-Schule), which merits the attention of all who come to this city.
(OED has "women's college" from 1867, but no "girl's school"--ed.)

Pg. 186:  Here the Parisians formerly gathered to play with bowls (_a la boule_) on the green grass, from which originated the name "boulevard."

Pg. 205:  The theater which is called "Italian," though only French melodramas are performed there, is my favorite.
(See revised OED "melodrama"--ed.)

Pg. 208:  You can have a good room in the best _hotel_.(15)
15. A _hotel_ is a lodginghouse where you have only a room and servant.  Coffee and tea are brought from the nearest coffeehouse and dinner from an inn.

Pg. 209:  For dinner you go to a _restaurateur,(16) where, for about five or six rubles, you are served well-prepared dishes and dessert.
16. In Paris the proprietors of the best eating houses are called _restaurateurs_.  They give you a list of all the dishes with their prices.  After making your selection, you eat at a small, private table.

Pg. 209:  ...you refresh yourself in the Palais-Royal, in the Cafe de Valois, or Cafe de Caveau, with a cup of _bavaroise_.(17)
17. An aromatic syrup with tea.
(Also on page 240, "sits every day in the Cafe de Chartres over his _bavaroise_."  OED has this, "a cream dessert containing gelatine and whipped cream, and served cold," from 1846.  Here, however, it's a drink--ed.)

Pg. 232:  Suleiman Aga, the Turkish Ambassador to the Court of Louis XIV, first introduced coffee into France in the year of 1699.  A certain Armenian named Pascal conceived the idea of opening a coffeehouse.

Pg. 307:  ...and three comedies, of _bouffes_, during which the audience laughed a great deal.
(OED has 1801 for "opera buffa"--ed.)

Pg. 310:  Nowhere have I seen such beautiful children, all "blood and milk," as the Russians say--living flowers, beloved by Zephyr, all liitle Emiles, all little Sophies.
("Blood and milk" is not in the OED--ed.)

Pg. 339:  The helmsman had drunk four glasses of vodka.
(See prior posts for "vodka"--ed.)