Mine Run (part 1 of 2)

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 25 14:51:19 UTC 2002

For the record:

In the Sunday New York Times Magazine for March 24, page 24, "On Language"
column by William Safire, I am credited with a citation for "Mine-run
politicians".  This citation in fact was in the original e-mail that Kathleen
Miller (millerk at NYTIMES.COM) posted on the ADS-L list on 02/13/2002 at
3:55:05 PM Eastern Standard Time.

My only contribution to the column was to mention the "battle" of Mine Run,
which I facetiously described as "Robert E. Lee's celebrated victory".  I
hope that Safire's statement "Northerners characterize the "battle of Mine
Run" as "inconclusive"; Southerners treat it as a victory" is the result of
research on the part of Safire and his staff, rather than a misinterpretation
of what I wrote.

For a not on what constitutes a "victory" in battle, see part 2 of 2 of this
post.

     - James A. Landau
       Systems Engineer
       FAA Technical Center (ACT-350/BCI)