Query: "Sheff." at Yale (1899)

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Mar 25 21:56:48 UTC 2002

  First, my thanks to the people who responded about "Hygeia." If this
was the name of a soft drink in 1898, it should turn up elsewhere in
the student newspapers of that era; I'll keep my eyes peeled. As for
the unexpected feminine form "protegées," I'll have to dig out my
originals to see if I hadn't mistyped this.

    I now have another question, and I suppose Larry Horn would be the
most likely one to be able to provide an answer: What is (or was)
"Sheff." at Yale?
Barry Popik, while researching "hot dog," turned up the following brief item:
Feb. 18, 1899-- humor magazine _The Yale Record_, vol. 27, no. 8, p.
79:(title): 'The Serious Obstacle Surmounted':
  '"Lots of men coming down to Sheff. next year, they say."
    "Yes, they have a dog wagon there now, you know."'

    Would anyone have an idea about this "Sheff."?

---Gerald Cohen