missing "as"?

Steve Boatti Ittaob at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 26 16:04:20 UTC 2002

In a message dated 3/26/02 2:57:30 AM, translation at billionbridges.com writes:

<< s grammar evolving, am I merely grammatically-challenged,

or does the following sentence need an "as" at the end?

"Hiddenbrooke, a development "inspired" by Thomas

Kinkade, ain't exactly ye olde quainte village it bills itself." >>

The traditional formulation is "it bills itself AS a development," "bill"
meaning to "announce, advertise". However, I must confess that the alternate
"it bills itself a development" does not sound that strange to my ears. Maybe
this is because it sounds like "it calls itself a development."

Steve Boatti