Blouse (1823)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 27 13:54:07 UTC 2002

Since I occasionally criticize Barry Popik for various excesses, I think
it only fair that I publicly praise him for the recent contributions he
has posted dealing with travel literature.  This is about the highest
quality historical-lexicographical research I have ever seen.

I think that in general older translations from French and German and
other sources (that is to say, translations taken as evidence for English
words as of the date of the translation) rank with older scientific
literature as the most fruitful area for antedating the OED.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,