expressions on Milton Berle's show

pskuhlman at JUNO.COM pskuhlman at JUNO.COM
Thu Mar 28 15:03:53 UTC 2002

        Milton Berle's obituary in the New York Times today mentions
several expressions used on the show.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/28/obituaries/28BERL.html
The uninhibited Mr. Berle almost single-handedly led the entertainment
revolution that addicted the nation to the small screen by wobbling on
his ankles while wearing high heels, flouncing in evening gowns, grinning
to reveal blacked-out teeth, braying "What the hey," being whacked silly
with sacks of flour after shouting "Makeup!" and invariably thrusting
himself into the routines of his guests.
Typically he would greet his viewers with the words: "Good evening,
ladies and germs."
Ted Lewis, whose trademark was asking "Is everybody happy?" and bending
his head to roll his top hat down his arm, managed to release his toupee,
which flopped over his face.
Somewhere along the way, Mr. Berle was sure to say, "I swear, I'll kiwl
you, a milwyun times." There would be a segment for the pitchman Sid
Stone, whose "I'll tell you what I'm gonna do" became a part of the
national vocabulary.
One night in 1949, to fill some air time, he addressed himself to the
children in his audience, saying: "Since this is the beginning of a new
season, I want to say something to any of you kiddies who should be in
bed, getting a good night's rest before school tomorrow. Listen to your
Uncle Miltie and kiss Mommy and Daddy goodnight and go straight upstairs
like good little boys and girls." And almost in a twinkling, he was
everybody's Uncle Miltie

Patricia Schell Kuhlman
pskuhlman at juno.com
Brooklyn, NY