rebus

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Fri Mar 29 18:03:03 UTC 2002

The friend who sent me the rebus writes:

#Okay :-) My dictionary defines fender as a metal frame or low screen in
#front of an open fireplace (and another dictionary adds "to keep the hot
#coals in").  I suppose if the fender were quite high, you'd be dropping
#coals onto the grate from a height if you put them in over the top, and you
#might not be able to see what you were doing very well -- so the risk would
#be coals not properly contained in the grate?

That sounds as likely as anything.

-- Mark A. Mandel