Brandy, Table d'hote (Montaigne, 1580-1581)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu May 2 12:48:47 UTC 2002

At 9:00 PM -0400 5/1/02, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>MONTAIGNE'S TRAVEL JOURNAL
>Translated by Donald M. Frame
>North Point Press, San Francisco
>1983
>
>    Michel de Montaigne (1533-1592) wrote this journal in several
>languages (French, Italian) in 1580-1581.  The Library of Congress
>shows a 1903 translation by W. G. Waters that's three volumes;
>interesting, because this small book is only 175 pages.

Could the one you looked at be excerpted from the journal?  Most of
the editions in the Yale library (of the Italian original) run around
400-600 pages, and some are in three-volume sets.  And what was the
date of translation?  This is relevant in assessing e.g.

>Pg. 156:  In the night I sent for an apothecary, who gave me some
>brandy to put on the side of my mouth that tormented me most.  (...)
>I could not keep the brandy in my mouth...
>(OED has 1622 for "brandy"--ed.)

If the translation was post-1622, the occurrence of "brandy" here
would evidently not be an antedate.

larry