Why "sh" pronunciation in "sugar"?

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Tue May 7 15:35:17 UTC 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Michael B Quinion wrote:

#A subscriber asked me about this a little time ago. I'm no expert on
#sound changes in English, but I cobbled together a piece, which is
#archived at
#
#  <http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/sug1.htm>.

This should be
  <http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-sug1.htm>

If you go to the URL Michael gave, you get a page like this:

THE PAGE YOU ARE SEEKING ISN'T HERE

Some possible reasons and solutions:

        [...]

Otherwise, to find what you are looking for, you could try our General
Index (this is a list of the significant words and phrases featured), or
our search engine (which provides a full-text search for the whole
site).

        ====

So I tried the General Index and found the page.

-- Mark A. Mandel