See you in the funny papers!

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Wed May 8 13:51:25 UTC 2002

In the musical "Annie" (specifically, in an amateur performance I saw four years ago; I never saw the script) there is a place where the director of the orphanage says something to the effect "[sarcastically] So Annie's on the radio?  Next we'll be seeing her in the funny papers."

I seriously doubt this is the original usage, since the line is a good deal funnier if "see you in the funny papers" already were a well-known catch-phrase.

(note: the actress threw in several ad-libs, and this could have been one of them)

    James A. Landau

P.S. to our listmom:  can you possibly fix whatever it is that causes replies sometimes to be sent to ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU and sometimes to the originator only, as happened here?