^H?

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Thu May 9 15:33:09 UTC 2002

^H is what appears on your screen when you hit the backspace key on a UNIX
computer system. In the early days of the Internet, most of the machines on
the network were UNIX and this is a vestigial joke from those days. It
means, "I meant to delete this and was hitting the backspace key to do so."
It's also a bit self-deprecating, identifying yourself as someone who
(supposedly) doesn't know enough about their own computer to realize that
hitting the backspace key won't erase the last character.