FW: Same sound, opposite meaning

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Fri May 10 01:12:10 UTC 2002

In a message dated 05/08/2002 10:38:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mam at THEWORLD.COM writes:

> On Wed, 8 May 2002, Robert Fitzke wrote:
>
>  #One that is often used by sportswriters is "verbal". It means both written
>  #and oral. It is often used to describe a recruit's commitment where the
>  #difference between a written commitment and an oral commitment is
critical.

>  I don't agree. "Verbal" in the strict and original sense and my usage
>  includes written and oral language; in sloppyXXXXXX common present use
>  it refers to oral language only, explicitly opposed to written.

New Jersey not only has some of the highest auto insurance rates in the US,
it also has some of the most impenetrable legal jargon attached to the
insurance paperwork.

Specifically, "verbal threshold" which you have to select or not select by
putting a check mark on the insurance questionaire.

>From the explanation supplied by my insurance company rather than by the
state:
"The 'Verbal Threshold' option uses words, rather than a dollar amount of
medical bills, to describe when a suit may be filed.  If you select this
limitation, then you will not be able to sue unless the injury is:
   death
   dismemberment
   significant disfigurement
   fracture
   loss of a fetus
   pemanent loss/significant limitation/permanent consequential limitation of
use of a body organ, member, function, or system
   one final paragraph that is too lengthy and impenetrable to inflict on
ADS-L"

     - Jim Landau (who selected verbal threshold)