British Ebonics (fwd) (fwd)

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Fri May 10 10:20:50 UTC 2002

I asked my (British) colleagues about this and got one answer (below).
Lynne

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Thursday, May 9, 2002 8:59 pm +0100
From: Max Wheeler <maxwwheeler at beeb.net>
To: Lynne Murphy <lynnem at cogs.susx.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: British Ebonics (fwd)

I think your correspondent is basically right. It may well be that 2nd
generation black Britons have a 'black' accent (e.g. Caribbean English, or
indeed patwa; or 'Indian English') as a part of their speech repertoire,
but they also have, probably as primary speech style, the local vernacular.

Reasons for this: black immigration to UK much more recent than to US,
slavery irrelevant, no apartheid ('segregation'), no ghettos.

Max