Avgolemono Soup (1889)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 13 02:55:20 UTC 2002

GREECE
HANDBOOK FOR TRAVELLERS
by Karl Baedeker
Leipsic
1889

   In my Greek phase (Greek salad, gyro, souvlakia--I guess there's no chance I get written up in a Greek publication?), I mentioned "Avgolemono" soup.  Jesse Sheidlower told me that OED had it, from about 1914.

Pg. XXV:
  (_soupa avgolemono_), soup with egg and lemon.
(...)
   (_loukanika_), small sausages.
(...)
   (_pilafi_), a kind of rich rice-pudding, like the Italian risotto.
(...)
   (_alzem pilafi_), "Persian pillau" of hashed mutton.
(...)
   (_youvarlakia_), dumplings.
(...)
   (_Chalva_), a Turkish sweetmeat made of sesame and honey; other sweetmeats are called _baklava_, _galato-pouriko_, _loukoumia_.

Pg. XXVI:
   Another is (Greek--ed.)(_masticha_), a liquor distilled from the gum of the mastix, which forms a milky, opalescent fluid when mixed with water.  The ordinary price for a loukoumi or masticha is 10c.
(The revised OED has 1901 for "mastika."  We're beating that thing to a pulp here--ed.)