going tonto

Sun May 19 13:04:53 UTC 2002

The idea that persons who use borrowed words have any proficiency in
other tongues is a surprising one to me (ignoring the idea that
native speakers can't speak their own language well).

That derivations are "stupid" also strikes me as odd; "Tonto" (the
Lone Ranger's companion) may have been a racist name, but derivations
from it are hardly stupid (unless we want to note that all
etymologically inaccurate (or even "slang") derivations in the
development of a vocabulary are "stupid"). I think "ignorant of" is
the right term here.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston