Major Antedating of "Bulldyker"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon May 20 06:36:00 UTC 2002

>The following are the earliest known uses of "dyke" and related terms, as
>taken from the Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang and
>the OED:
>
>dyke            1931
>
>bulldyke        1931
>
>bulldyking      1921
>
>bulldyker       1925
>
>I have now found a significantly earlier citation:
>
>1906 J. Richardson Parke _Human Sexuality_ 309  In American homosexual
>argot, female inverts, or lesbian lovers, are known euphemistically as
>"bulldykers," whatever that may mean: at least that is their sobriquet in
>the "Red Light" district of Philadelphia.

Good show. This adds more evidence that "bulldyker" is probably the earlier
form, with "bulldyke" and "dyke" later contractions. What is the ultimate
etymology? I see that my own first [wild] guess (Boadicea/Boudica) has been
taken already by Judy Grahn. Is there anything authoritative?

-- Doug Wilson