connect-the-dots

Kathleen E. Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Mon May 20 21:26:17 UTC 2002

Hello all --

Thanks to the people who have already helped with parts of his latest
request, without you I would have had nothing at all, but, desperation has
set in. I've been searching, well, all day. I've got it in The NY Times in
'80, "...in connect-the-dots fashion. ..." The Globe and Mail '82, AP in
'87. Got a literal hit in 1898. An expert's ideas about "connecting the
nine dots." And a couple of modern poems.

I have not been able to pin down the origin of the name of the game,
approximate date from literal meaning, to name of game, to metaphor, etc.-
and I'm hoping someone can point my in the right direction.

Once again many thanks.

Katy

Kathleen E. Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire