anglo

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue May 21 15:59:57 UTC 2002

At 11:44 AM -0400 5/21/02, Johnson, Ellen wrote:
>  >
>Another pet peeve: I hate the term "Anglo" particularly when applied
>to me. I'm Jewish, White, or European American, but I'm no more
>"Anglo" than a Nuyoriquen who learned Spanish as a second language,
>as I did.
><
>
>it seems to me that the term 'Anglo' has acquired a meaning parallel
>to 'Hispanic'.   That is, Anglo refers to a native speaker of
>English in the same way people use Hispanic to refer to someone who
>is a native speaker of Spanish.  both regardless of national origin.
>do y'all concur?

Not in my experience.  Asian-Americans and African-Americans (and
native Americans, i.e. "Indians") are normally excluded from Anglo as
I've seen the term used.  "Native speaker of English" would
presumably also encompass millions of Hispanic-Americans/Latinos/as,
who also aren't reckoned as Anglos.  So I don't think 'native speaker
of English' is a widespread use of the term.

Larry