anglo

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue May 21 16:14:01 UTC 2002

At 12:07 PM -0400 5/21/02, Baker, John wrote:
>         I take "Anglo" to mean an English-speaking person of
>Northern European descent, without regard to religion.  I'm hazy on
>whether an Italian-American would be an Anglo.
>
>John Baker

Now while as I mentioned I take the term to exclude Asian-, African-,
Hispanic-, and native Americans, I've certainly seen it used to
INclude Jews (of Eastern European descent) and other "white ethnics",
including Polish-, Czech-, Hungarian-, Greek-, and definitely
Italian-Americans.  I've also seen it used with something like John's
more restrictive definition.  (This shouldn't be too surprising,
given the prototype/ripple understandings of a lot of
ethnic/delocative labels; cf. "Yankee".)

larry