Karoshi in Chinese

Sat May 25 07:27:44 UTC 2002

It just seemed interesting that the same word was being borrowed
twice into English, once from China and once from Japan.

Because of the mutual use of characters, trying to figure out
whether the word originated in Japanese (using Sino-Japanese
characters) and was borrowed in China, originated in China and then
borrowed in Japan, or developed independently of each other would be
difficult. Another factor is kwaroshi (or gwaroshi), the Korean
version, though Google doesn't record it in English.

While guolao (word hard) has probably been used for some time in
Chinese, that doesn't mean that the word guolaosi has been around as
long. (Ditto for the other languages as well.)

Benjamin Barrett