Manpad; Azeri music (1932)

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Fri May 31 17:46:03 UTC 2002

        If your mother says she loves you, check it out" came from the Chicago City News Bureau, where it was writ large on a banner until the City News Bureau closed in 1999.  It was often associated with editor A.A. Dornfeld.  Dornfeld, however, reportedly wrote in Behind the Front Page:  The Story of the City News Bureau of Chicago, that the phrase was originated by editor Edward H. Eulenberg, presumably at some point after Eulenberg began working for the City News Bureau in 1927 and before he took a position with the Daily News in 1957.

        According to Eulenberg's obituary in the 1/12/88 Chicago Sun-Times, Eulenberg once confessed, "I never said that.  What I said was, 'If your mother tells you she loves you, kick her smartly in the shins and make her prove it.'"

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: Bapopik at AOL.COM [mailto:Bapopik at AOL.COM]
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 4:33 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Manpad; Azeri music (1932)

"IF YOUR MOTHER SAYS SHE LOVES YOU, CHECK IT OUT"

    Both the New York Times and the Chicago Tribune are always right, like
the pope, and cannot be told otherwise unless successfully sued.
    However, I sent the "Windy City" thing to the USA TODAY writer and to the
Weather Doctor.  Both of them responded immediately and said they would
change their information.  Amazing!
   The USA TODAY guy mentioned "If yoiur mother says she loves you, check it
out," and asked where that phrase comes from.  Anyone?