Query: German Words of the year

Mon Nov 4 14:07:42 UTC 2002

De: JochenABaer at aol.com
Date: Mon 28 Oct 2002  10:51:53 America/New_York
À: gbarrett at americandialect.org
Objet: Query: "Words of the year"

"Please forward this message to whom it may concern."

Dear madam or sir,

On behalf of the "Gesellschaft für deutsche Sprache" ("German Language
Society") in Wiesbaden/Germany, may I kindly invite you to participate
in a publication project?

Since 1971, the Gesellschaft für deutsche Sprache votes the German
"word of the year". As a member of the Gesellschaft, I recently have
been asked to be the editor of an anthology, which contains some
research on the history  of this project, on its cultural relevance and
on the public interest, as well as short essays on every "word of the
year". Of course, in this context, it would be very interesting to
refer to similar projects in other countries, too.

I would like to invite you to participate in this anthology. I would be
most obliged, if you could contribute a short essay (5-10 pages) on the
"words of the year" selected by the American Dialect Society. It should
contain some remarks on the Society, its structures and purposes,
especially, of course, the idea of voting on the annual "word of the
year", the history of the project, the criteria, on which the vote is
based etc.

The essay would be translated into German (so, if it was convenient to
you, it could also be a text that had been published before). As the
anthology will try to connect specifically scientific interests with
those of a broader public, the essay may well pursue a stilistic
"middle course".

For all further questions, of course I will be to your disposal.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

Jochen Bär

************************************
Dr. Jochen A. Bär
JochenABaer at aol.com
Universität Heidelberg
Germanistisches Seminar
Hauptstrasse 207-209
69117 Heidelberg
GERMANY

Tel. 0049-6221-543244
Fax 0049-6221-543257

--
Grant Barrett
gbarrett at worldnewyork.org
Small Business Apple Macintosh Support in New York City
http://www.worldnewyork.org/