Being Googled

Dodi Schultz SCHULTZ at COMPUSERVE.COM
Mon Nov 4 18:54:23 UTC 2002

Susan Gilbert asks,

  >> When did being "Googled" become part of our lexicon?

I'm not sure whether the question's intended to be taken literally, or you
really mean that you object to the usage.

If the former: I'd say, as one who both hears and uses the term, probably
within the past year or so, possibly two at the outside.

If the latter: "Google John Smith" just seems a shorter, more convenient
way to say, "Go to the Google search engine and enter the phrase 'John
Smith'."

I find it interesting, BTW, that the term has *not* been turned into a
generic meaning "use [any] search engine"; rather, it refers specifically
to the trade-named Google facility.

--Dodi Schultz