Geolinguistics

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Nov 6 08:47:20 UTC 2002

I guess I've been too insular, or just found the term unpleasant and so
avoided it, but some of our local linguists have been touting
"geolinguistics" as an exciting cover-term to elicit administration
support for language and linguistics in the university, including language
contact, language variation, language change, ethnic/minority language
situations, bilingualism, bilingual education, and a few other things.
Does anyone else have strongly positive or negative reactions to the term,
or to the range of topics included? Should it be a label to sell the
administration on?

        Rudy