Geoduck (1882)

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Thu Nov 7 20:30:30 UTC 2002

I would guess it was an attempt to represent the American Indian original,
which may have had either a glottal stop or [x] in the first syllable; both
are common in many AmInd languages.  So what was a nonnative speaker to do
when spelling it in English?  When does the name first appear in
print?   And how about the Monongahela (sp?)?