Geoduck (1882)>McLoughlin

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Fri Nov 8 01:46:47 UTC 2002

In a message dated 11/07/2002 7:51:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM writes:

>  ISTM I used to hear the name of Peter Lougheed, erstwhile premier of
>  Alberta, pronounced "Lockheed" -- like the airplane mfr. -- on CBC.
>  Sometimes  also pronounced "La-heed."

The Lockheed Corporation was founded in 1913 by the brothers Malcolm and
Allan Loughead.  The spelling was deliberately changed to "Lockheed",
probably so customers would know how to pronounce the name of the company.
This seems to imply that "Loughead" was pronounced /lock heed/.

By the way, the Loughead brothers' first plane was called the "Model G" to
hide the fact that it was their first design effort.

       - Jim Landau