Geoduck (1882)>McLoughlin

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Nov 8 15:26:45 UTC 2002

At 9:56 AM -0500 11/8/02, Robert Fitzke wrote:
>Does anyone know exactly how Bret Favre pronounces his name? I keep hearing
>Farv by the announcers.
>
>Bob

Farv.  There's a nice take-off on the orthography/pronunciation
mismatch in the movie "There's Something About Mary".  Ben Stiller (I
think, or maybe it was the other guy) pronounces it something like
"farv..........r".  Lots of athletes have similar mismatches.
Another one that comes to mind is the tennis player Malivai
Washington, whose first name is pronounced as though it were spelled
"Malivia".  Probably a lot of non-athletes too, but I don't know as
many of their names.

larry