Geoduck (1882)>McLoughlin

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Nov 9 21:40:24 UTC 2002

At 9:11 AM -0500 11/9/02, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>I'm with you arnold; if I hadn'a heard it, I'da said /piKAbo/ or even
>/pIKAbo/ (caps = stressed syllable except for /I/, the vowel of HIT).
>

>dInIs
>
>i would never have guessed the spelling Picabo for "Peekaboo"
>Street, or the pronunciation from the spelling.
>
>arnold

Well, at least we know (or we've been given to believe we know) where
this one came from:  the skiier's parents named her partly for Picabo
(a town in Montana or some such state where they were living at the
time; these were emeriti hippies, evidently) and partly for
peek-a-boo, which she loved playing as a toddler.  (Before this
point, they hadn't gotten around to naming her at all.)  This leaves
it open how Picabo, the town's name, was/is actually pronounced.  I
take it not as a homonym of "peek-a-boo", though.

larry