"native speaker"

John Hellermann jkheller at SIU.EDU
Mon Nov 11 15:26:53 UTC 2002

I have a request related to the "native speaker" thread that has been
active in the past few days.

I am a conversation analyst interested in how people talk about or talk
around terms such as "native speaker" and "non native speaker" as well as
how people talk to one another about other people's dialects.

Granted, there are countless reels of tape of sociolinguistic interviews
eliciting attitudes toward dialects, specific usages, and phonological
variables.  But what I am really interested in is a collection of examples
from non-interview, talk in social interaction in which the topics of
"dialect" or "native/non-native speaker" comes up.

If anyone has such data (recorded or written) that you could share, I would
be very grateful if you could contact me.

John Hellermann, Assistant Professor
Department of Speech Communication
Southern Illinois University
Carbondale, Illinois  62901